November 4, 2012

Review: Spell Bound

Spell Bound
by Rachel Hawkins

Release Date: March 13, 2012
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 1 2 3 4 5

Series: Book 3 in the Hex Hall series

Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?

My Review:

Cover: I think this cover represents Sophie's growth as a character. That cat over there is really annoying me, though. As cute as it is, and as much as it gives a more "witchy" feel to the book, it's inaccurate because there was no cat!

Writing: (4/5) As I stated in my review for Demonglass, the writing is simple as the book is meant to be light and easy to sink into. But the good thing about Spell Bound is that it was just as humorous as the first book, Hex Hall (I found that Demonglass was less funny).

Setting: (2/5) One third through the book, Sophie was back in Hex Hall and I enjoyed that setting more than London or where Sophie was at the beginning of Spell Bound (don't want to spoil).

Plot: (4.5/5) Overall, Spell Bound was better than Demonlgass, but it wasn't as good as Hex Hall. I didn't like the first third of the book because I was impatient for Sophie to meet up with her father, Archer, Cal, and Jenna after they had been separated. Once they were reunited, the plot started getting really good. Some people said that Spell Bound seemed rushed, and although I can see that, it still has a pretty satisfying ending. 

Main Character: (5/5) You could see Sophie's growth as a character in Spell Bound, but in the end, I liked that it was a group effort when they defeated the antagonist and it wasn't all Sophie's doing.

Villain: (3/5) I liked what happened with Mrs. Casnoff and her apparent sudden change in Demonglass didn't seem as brutal. Lara was OK, but she wasn't that great of an antagonist. 

Other Characters: (4.5/5) 
Archer and Jenna: We see plenty of them in this book, which I loved!
Elodie: Elodie also appeared a lot and I liked seeing how she felt about a lot of things, especially her hatred towards Archer.
Cal: I have to admit that Cal's ending in this was unfair to him, so for you Cal fans out there, be warned.
Izzy, Finley, and Aislinn: Some new characters that are introduced in the beginning. At first I didn't really like them, but they soon grew on me. With them being introduced, Sophie also discovered more secrets about her family.

Romance: (5/5) There were plenty of moments between Sophie and Archer in Spell Bound, far more than in Hex Hall and Demonglass. To say the least, I was very happy about that. 

Other Comments: Apparently, there will be a spin-off series that will center around Izzy and Torin (another character that gets introduced in Spell Bound), which will be released in 2013. I'm pretty excited about this and I'm definitely going to be reading it. There hasn't been much information released, so I'm not completely sure there will be a spin-off series because I've only heard about it here and here

Overall: (28/35) A satisfying conclusion to the series that had plenty of scenes with all my favourite characters. If Hawkins ever writes a spin-off series, I'll be sure to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment