November 5, 2012

Review: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
by Sarah J. Maas

Release Date: January 13, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children’s
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 1 2 3 4 5

Series: Book 0.1 in the Throne of Glass series

A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to right the wrong she’s been sent to bring about.

My Review:

Cover: Well, it's a simple cover and it's not like they would put too much effort into it considering this is a novella. Either way, I still like it.

Writing: (2.5/5) The writing makes it easy to sink into the book right from the beginning. 

Setting: (2/5) We're told quite a bit about the world, but I was slightly confused. I wish their was a map, that would have been helpful. The novella doesn't go into detail about the world and so far seems to bring nothing new or original. I hope that Throne of Glass won't be the same.

Plot: (2.5/5) The story was nothing special, it really seemed like a side adventure (I'm sure all the other novellas will be similar) but a lot of people said that it's good to read the novellas before you read the novel since it shows a lot of Celaena's character growth. 

Main Character: (5/5) Celaena Sardothien is arrogant, vain, and completely believes that her skills are unmatched. She might sound detestable, but I liked her because she was a different kind of heroine, one with more obvious flaws than good qualities (but they are there). Her past was only hinted and I'm excited to learn more about her.

Villain: (4/5) Captain Rolfe, Lord of the Pirates, was an interesting antagonist because I believe he wasn't a completely bad person. He also said this line to Celaena that I think is true and will probably be proven in the later novellas or Throne of Glass:
“One day,” Rolfe said, too quietly, “someone's really going make you pay for that arrogance." Lightning made his green eyes flicker. “I just hope I'm there to see it."
Other Characters: (2/5)
Arobynn Hamel: He is the King of the Assassins and Celaena seems close to him. We only saw him briefly though; hopefully we'll see more of him later on.
Sam Cortland: A fellow assassin, Sam seems to have a rather horrible relationship with Celaena. But since they grew up with one another, they know each other well and there even seems to be a hint of a possible romance. He's with Celaena throughout the novella and I'm wondering if he's an important character in Throne of Glass (he should be). I guess I'll just have to see.

Other Comments: Well, for those that don't know, Sarah J. Maas has four prequel novellas to the first book in her new series, Throne of Glass. I've heard these novellas are actually worth reading before you read the book.

Overall: (18/30) The novella, although not that great, hints towards a lot of what is in store for us in this series. I really enjoyed Celaena and I'm curious about her development in the later novellas and the book. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I just LOVE your page!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE to read, and your have given me so many ideas now!!!!!
    Please don't stop, and keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this novella because I was excited to read these and The Throne of Glass sounds pretty cool!

    But I will be honest with you. Celaena continues to be arrogant and vain through all the novellas and she becomes eve more unlikeable to me :/ There is hardly any character development in the novella's I think. I'm up to the third novella and I'm trying very, very hard to push my way through it. But I dis-like Celaena so much that I just do not know if I can finish these... Plus all of the novella's stories are "nothing special" and they're all very predictable in my opinion.

    In saying that I'm still going to read The Throne of Glass, just because I'm seriously hoping she changes as a character throughout that book and it sounds a lot more exciting than these novellas. People that have read the novellas after reading The Throne of Glass have enjoyed the novella's a lot more though.

    I hope you enjoy the novella's a lot more than I have!

    Miss J @ Miss Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's disappointing I actually thought she changes within the novellas. But I guess it makes sense considering the book is probably more important than the novellas, I'd doubt that they'll leave anything important out like character development. But I'm getting annoyed with all these novellas they're releasing to make extra money.

      I can't wait to start my copy of Throne of Glass but I was going to read the novellas first. Now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and read it.

      I'll probably end up reading Throne of Glass next month, and any spare time I have between reading all my review books I'm going to try to finish these novellas (though after reading the first novella and from what you said they don't seem to be that important).

      Delete