November 9, 2012

Interview with Debra Chapoton, Author of Sheltered


Please welcome Debra Chapoton, author of Sheltered!

1.     Tell us 5 interesting facts about you?
I was on a synchronized swimming team in high school. I didn’t get braces on my teeth until my early thirties. Three nights a week I sleep wearing special contact lenses that keep my vision at 20/20. I designed the full log home my husband and I built. I don’t have a cell phone.

2.     Describe your book in one sentence?
Five troubled teens confront demonic forces and deal with their problems and relationships in different ways.

3.           Why demons?
Because, unlike vampires, demons just might really exist. There’s a lot of historical and current evidence that is hard to discount. Jesus cast out evil spirits everywhere he preached and taught. How do you explain away that fact? Vampires are scary in a pretend way, but demons are scary in a “this might really be true” way.

  4. Out of your five main characters, who is your favourite and why?

I hate to choose because it’s like favoring one of my own children over another, but I’ll give the edge to Ben because he’s the only one I would consider dating.


     5. Which animals do you think best represent your characters?
Wow, that’s the most interesting question I’ve ever been asked. Ben would be a friendly, loyal Labrador Retriever. Cori is a hissy black panther. Megan is a brood mare. Emily is a quivering Chihuahua and Chuck is a pair of crazy Siamese cats.


6.    What do you believe is the most important element in a book?

In any book the most important element is a good balance between real characters and an interesting plot.

7.     What do you think makes a good character?
A good character is one that elicits a strong reaction from the reader. I tend to remember those characters whom I disliked, pitied, loved, hated, or the ones who creeped me out or disgusted me.

8.     If you could have dinner with any character (not from your books), who would you choose and why?
I would have dinner with Edward Cullen so I could look into those eyes up close and pretend to be Bella.

9.     What are you currently reading and what are you reading next?
I’m reading Revelation for Blockheads and next up I’ll reread a classic: Pride and Prejudice.

10. Random Question: Who is your favourite superhero and why?
I always loved Superman because he was strong and handsome and could fly, just like my dad (Air Force pilot).


Sheltered 
by Debra Chapoton
Living together unsupervised, five troubled teens confront demonic forces and are compelled to deal with their problems in distinctly different ways. Paranormal meets psycho meets Goth in this story of a supernatural haunting and budding love.

High school junior, Ben, hacks into his step-father's real estate holdings and provides rooms in an old two-story house to various outcasts: the schizophrenic kid, the angry Goth girl, and the homeless girl who worships him. When Megan needs a place to live she comes to the rooming house with a different set of problems and the ability to confuse and attract Ben.

One by one strange and mysterious occurrences stretch the teens’ beliefs in the supernatural. How they deal with demons, real and imagined, has tragic as well as redeeming consequences.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for having me on your wonderful blog, Maria. I like the pictures you added to the feature. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete